Wednesday, July 20, 2011

balancing the change

We as a family are entering new territory. for the last 21yrs i have spent my summer charging around to get uniform shoes pens ect, My youngest has left school this year, and i have to be honest feel totally out of my depth.
Both my oldest sons had moved out of home and were working full time by the time they were at the point of my youngest.
Now i am struggling to know how much rope and freedom do i give him, and to a degree struggling with what is appropriate behavior.
Today some one commented that some of his behavior had become unruly. Everything inside me is reacting, as that was never a label that anyone would have put on him, yes we had the odd standoff and he larked about a bit nothing serious in fact i counted my self very well blessed he does not smoke or swear or any of the things that most people would expect from most 16yr old boys.
But he has meet a lad older than him who has had a disruptive past and can be a bit loud and reckless (Do not get me wrong i really like the lad and he is tr ying to change he has a teachable heart) but i really do not like the way that my son has been over the last few weeks since meeting this lad.
A couple of weeks ago my son made me as proud as any parent could be and he decided to get baptized (this is a vital discussion in his own personal spiritual walk)
In our church each person has someone that helps them give them goals we call them shepherds it is a vital relationship to have i know that i would struggle with out my shepherd.
so my struggle is finding a happy middle of ground of how much do i involve myself in my sons life and how much do I trust the brethren who have time after time been there for him and steered him on to solid ground. My son does not have a relationship with his dad so the men of our church have been vital in my sons growing up helping him to grow up to be a real man, and be able to make choices
I am emotionally torn that my youngest is no longer at school but i do not know how much freedom to give him or how much to trust that God has placed people in his life that are going to take him on his next chapter of his life.

No comments: